Breed to improve...but how?
Enter, the Guardian Home.
At Little Handsome Siberians, we believe that huskies of all ages are best served when they are incorporated into a loving home environment. And, while we do utilize kennel space for exercise, training, and play, we seek to avoid "kennel raising" our dogs (a solution that is often used when the number of dogs in a breeding program exceeds the limitations of a normal family environment). As with every puppy we place, our aim is simply to ensure the highest quality of life for our huskies.
What is a Guardian Home?
A Guardian Home is a permanent home for one of our breeding males or females. Furthermore, it is a partnership between a breeder and a puppy buyer where the buyer obtains a puppy at a discounted rate while the breeder maintains the right and ability to incorporate said puppy into his or her breeding program in the future. This arrangement allows the breeder to further evaluate a puppy, into adulthood, to determine if that puppy possesses the potential to improve their breeding program. The placement family receives a quality, "pick of the litter" puppy as their forever pet and companion.
Why this solution?
In order for us to give our huskies the best life possible, it is important for us to limit how many dogs we keep at our home. Guardian homes keep huskies in a family environment where they can thrive and ensures that we never have to kennel raise a dog. A Siberian Husky needs to be a part of an active family to develop their full potential which is why we have the guardian program.
What qualifies a guardian home?
Becoming a Guardian Home is not for everyone. Below are the guidelines and qualifications of a guardian home:
- Prior experience dog ownership is a must. Prior husky ownership is a plus.
- Committed to crate training the puppy.
- Dog must be kept on a leash at all times outside the home.
- Must show proof of obedience training. (The dog passing Canine Good Citizen would be an example of this.)
- Will provide heartworm/flea/tick prevention, as well as regular vet checks, including vaccines.
- Fenced backyard to contain the puppy or fully enclosed kennel space.
- Keep us updated on the dog’s progress via email.
- Be willing to socialize the puppy with other people and dogs.
- A guardian home dog is not to be taken to a dog park.
- Dog cannot be bred to any dog without our approval.
- Live within easy driving distance to Charlottesville, Va. We do not place guardians out of the state.
Ready to find out more?
This is just a brief overview of the program. If you feel you meet the above criteria and would like to be considered, please contact us via email to inquire about upcoming guardian home opportunities.